Monday, September 3, 2012

LLEGUE AL PERU

Hey guys- yeah this site is a little wrong because I am currently in Cusco, Peru, having my original plan of going back to Cuba cancelled by the Cuban government... ¡Viva Fidel! Hahaha... Ass holes. Pardon my Spanish. So right now I am at an internet cafe.. it´s kind of like someone´s apartment that they turned a room of into the cafe. Super cheap to use the internet, like around 30 cents an hour versus the fffffuerte $6/hour Cuban internet...that´s definitely not as good. My host family is currently in a different city (Lima) because of an emergency, so I have yet to meet them. They should be back soon. Right noooow, I am living with another student in his house with that family and they are super cool. The host-mom is the family coordinator so she is a PRO. We didn't get to Cusco until last Thursday actually, but I've been been in Peru since last Saturday. We had an orientation week in Urubamba a little city like 2 hours outside of Cusco where we got to know each other, danced some salsa, hung out, braided each others hair and sang kumbaya, but not really. Just the first half. I´m trying to figure out a good internet strategy, so I am trying to upload pictures and take some more. There has been little free time except for this weekend when we hung out and partied woo! Friday we went to a swanky bar that one of the other student´s host brother owns. It was super swanky with a live band with a lead singer lady who sang some classic rock songs. I think my favorite was 'I Feel like a Woman' which isn't a classic ROCK song, but definitely a CLASSIC. Saturday we went to Club Groove that a group of indigenous-identifying students recommended to us. It's in the center of the city and lemmetellya Centro Cusco is sweet, dudes. I've only been there twice but it is full of tourism (super touristy) and bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, pretty stone work and buildings. But yeah Saturday at Groove was crazy and then after that we went to Mama Africa (haha) and that was fun also. A lot of dancing and singing songs from the US. My favorites of the night: Groove played some Grease songs, like the musical and Mama Africa played party in the USA, like miley cyrus. Today we started Spanish classes and I am in a literature class because I am soOooOoo good at spanish (lol, help) but it's about Andean Culture which is what this whole program is mostly about because we are in Cusco, super high up, like 12000ft. NO ALTITUDE SICKNESS, but sometimes breathing and stairs are a lot of work...... but I think that´s just an accurate reflection on my current shape. Okay this is just an update and I will let YINZ GUYS know more when I figure out WHAT IM DOING. I already have over 200 pages of reading due by Thursday, so this IS NOT A VACATION... but it is on the weekendssss HEYyyy! But seriously all in Spanish the readings are (yoda) so, hasta la proxima y que sea prontoo0o0o0. John, the crazy blog-master

1 comment:

  1. somehow in the massive quantity of music that has been produced in the u.s.a. ....ever, shania twain seems to be the most known in latin america. everyone in brasil would always play shania twain for us.

    ReplyDelete